Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fabric Choices

OK, after seeing my neighbor's DJ quilt top (check it out on my Jan 6 post), I'm in the mood again to get things going with my blocks.

This is "C-8 Hani's Crown", labeled by the software as an advanced-level block. I think I would call it intermediate, but I guess because of the strange angles, this may be a bit tricky. Mine is paper-pieced, but if you want to see a hand-pieced version that takes my breath away, check out this blogger's post here. While you're there, spend some time admiring the other blocks she has posted.

I wish I had thought more carefully about fabric choices before buying fabric for this quilt, because I've discovered that large prints don't work all that well. The pieces are so small that sometimes the contrast is lost. But since I want a large variety of fabrics in the quilt, I'll continue to use the large prints...(thankfully, most of my fabrics work just fine in the small blocks). I just need to be a bit more careful in choosing what goes with them.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I don't think that you need to worry too much about the fabrics that you have selected...the quilt is going to be beautiful!

By the way...I love your new banner! Nice job!

Hunter said...

Oh, my gosh. I'm so touched.

I stopped by to admire your latest work and was blown away by your kindness.

And your fabrics made me wish that I had purchased fabrics specifically for this quilt rather than using stash fabrics.

I love your fabric choices.

Thank you again for your thoughtfulness.

Aloha,
Darilyn

Anonymous said...

I've always had such admiration and appreciation for quilting. Used to dabble in it but nothing beyond a few warm quilts for my boys.
Thank you so much for stopping by and entering my giveaway - good luck!
All the best ~ Sharon

Barb said...

But Anya your fabrics are beautiful and your DJ blocks are so unique! I would say NO DON'T CHANGE A THING, don't even think about it...I love them! I would say IF you are thinking the design is too big for the blocks, you have been doing a very good job of selecting areas of great contrast...keep on going just like you are!

nwalker said...

Beautiful work! Thanks for stopping by!
Nanch