Sunday, February 22, 2009

What Happens at the Lake House, Stays at the Lake House

What a fun day I had yesterday with the other Laurel Janes...

Eat, Laugh, Quilt -- that was our motto all day. I think we would all agree that we had a wonderful time. We may have even inspired a newbie or two...

This first photo shows 4 quilts in progress. I blogged about the one in the foreground in this post back in early January. Angie, the maker of that one, is currently working on the outer triangles (I'm afraid she was using a few colorful words yesterday...).






The blocks on the bed are 6-inch blocks, all hand-pieced by Rita. By the end of the day, she had several rows pieced with alternating cream-colored blocks, using an on-point setting. I think on-point settings are very pleasing to the eye, don't you?


These red and cream blocks are made by Mary Jane, one of the co-founders of our guild. Her applique work (well, all of her work, actually) is exquisite.


The three rows of 30s fabrics on the top of the design wall were made by Nancy. She has joined me in the "jubilee" stage in her project, with more than 100 of the center blocks finished. I admire her determination to start in the middle of the quilt and work her way out. That had been my initial plan, but after I made this block, that plan went out the window for me.



The very un-Jane-looking bright blocks on the bottom of the design wall are some of mine. I did not want to do very much yesterday that required a lot of thinking, so I just started to sew my blocks together with sashing. There will be cornerstones as well, using 1-inch squares of scraps from my batiks...it's going to be a wild and crazy-looking quilt. I figure it will go well with my Eastern European heritage -- nothing ever matches...checks and plaids and stripes all go together, right? Look at St Basil's Cathedral in Moscow...that works, doesn't it?

Although my quilt will be "Anya's Quilt", in a big way I consider it to be a group project. I can't begin to express how thankful I am for how much I have learned from other quilters, both in my guild and in blogland. It is thanks to all of you that I continue with this journey...

Anyway, I had a great time with my fellow quilters at Moddy's lake house (thank you so much, Moddy), but I have one final word of advice...ladies, be sure you always know where your panties are...enough said.


5 comments:

Susan said...

Yesterday was great fun, wasn't it? And thanks for the chuckle this morning!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Oh what wonderful quilts!!! so many different looks to dear jane - a very talented group of people I think did these.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty of the quilts in progress! Bad words or not they are gorgeous :>)!! As for the Batiks (yours) it will be stunning and I love all of your blocks...keep on going!

Cathie said...

What in the world does knowing where your panties are have to do with quilting??? Hmmmmmm????
All of the DJ's are gorgeous - each one so unique and different. And yours, dear Anya - looks like Dear Jane on acid! I love it - bright, bold, beautiful statement of color and courage.

Diana LaMarre said...

It was very enjoyable seeing all the different Dear Janes. I like them all. I have been really into bright colors for the past few years. I think your bright DJ will be just beautiful!

I had to chuckle over Clevelandgirlie's comment....DJ on acid! LOL.