Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Having A Ball

Since late 2000, every baby born into my husband's side or my side of the family has received a quilt from me. That's 11 babies so far, with another one on the way in February. To prevent unnecessary tears, I've made it a habit to include a small handmade gift for any older siblings. A few years ago, the gifts were soft patchwork balls made using the patterns and instructions in Jinny Beyer's "Patchwork Puzzle Balls" book.

Jinny prefers hand-piecing, but I found the balls to be great practice for trying Y-seams on my sewing machine. I was pleased to discover that it wasn't too frustrating. I left just one small seam open in each ball for stuffing and then hand-stitched that seam closed.
The balls are stuffed with leftover pieces of poufy batting that I had collected over the years from miscellaneous projects. The book says to use regular stuffing material, but the batting worked well enough for me. I just tore it up into very small irregular pieces.

I'm told that the balls were a great hit. And the parents are still trying to figure out how I sewed them together....

7 comments:

Betsy said...

That is an excellent idea. Those look great!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! My sister in law is in the process of making one with some hexies I gave to her. I am sending her some more to add to them.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well those are cute - I had seen her book and I'm a fan of her work but had never made the balls. I might have to get her book.
I have given up on making baby quilts for family, I was doing it for awhile but I come from a family of 12 kids - it got to be that I have more nieces and nephews and now greats that I can't even count them all anymore!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Vicki W said...

I haven't tried making these by machine but I did a bunch of them for travel hand-sewing projects. They are a lot of fun to make.

Dena said...

I love all the bright prints. What a nice gift for the older siblings. I'm sure they feel special, knowing they have not been forgotten.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very cute and thoughtful Anya!

Unknown said...

very clever and sent with a homemade card I am sure. Very cute