Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Finished UFO, Finally!

I made these scrappy flip-and-sew blocks at least five years ago and never did anything with them. Until last week. It's just a small quilt that will go to Project Linus, but at least it's done. My friend Susan has converted me into a bias-stripe binding fan. It gives the quilt just the right amount of fun.



I quickly quilted it on my HQ16 using a free-motion swirly pattern.

The blocks were pieced on used dryer sheets instead of a muslin or other such foundation. Several years ago I had a box of dryer sheets that were about 6" x 12", so I just pressed them flat (after I had used them) and cut them into 6" squares. Then I added scrappy strips and squared it all up to 6 1/2 inches.

I still have a drawer full of these sheets...maybe some day I'll try this again. I certainly have enough scraps to use...


6 comments:

Susan said...

This quilt really turned out nicely! I love the red border and the bias binding goes without saying!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love your quilt and the candy stripe binding is wonderful. What a clever idea about those dryer sheets. I'm going to try that! Thanks for sharing.

Rene' said...

What a bright colorful quilt for Project Linus!!! I am sure it will be a big hit. I am all into recycling .... love the dryer sheet idea ... never thought of that.

Jackie said...

I love that striped binding. The quilt is just beautiful!

Tropical Screamer said...

What a beautiful quilt. Now I have to go find out about this binding. It's so cute. And your quilting is gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

Darilyn

Tracy said...

Love the quilt...love the dryer sheet idea too! Clever!