Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Anything Is Possible

I had been dreading making this block for a long time now. Shortly into my DJ project, I printed out the block and kept it in my notebook to study once in a while. I knew that I would have to use some sort of applique method or curved piecing and I dreaded the day I'd attempt it. This week I finally did.

This is "H-6, Pie Sale", an intermediate-level block that I rotary cut and used the raw-edge machine buttonhole-stitch method for the 3/4 circles.

After looking closely at the block, I decided to break it down into a nine-patch and quarter circles. I cut out the quarter circles and placed them on top of the nine-patch pieces and then sewed all the seams. That left me with having to sew down the outer edges of the quarter circles. No big deal, I had done that before with the buttonhole stitch around the raw edge. But what color thread? Dark thread would disappear on the dark fabric but be very obvious on the yellow. Vice versa for yellow thread. I certainly didn't want to change thread, so I decided to use monofilament with the buttonhole stitch. Not my favorite look, but it worked. I have other blocks that I made fairly early on in the quilt in which I used monofilament thread, so this won't be the only one.

After making this block, I think the remaining ones will be a breeze...

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your color choices for this block - it was a fun block to make :) I think I did this one reverse applique. How many blocks do you have left to make - I'm looking forward to see such a colorful version.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

luv2quilt2 said...

Each of these blocks is such a learning experience. I haven't made the one you showed today, but I'm getting close to it.

Barb said...

Another pretty block, your colors are wonderful! You have really perfected the technique with the buttonhole stitch, and thinking your way thru doing the blocks this way! I love it! Have a wonderful New Year! This will be a busy and exciting year for you and your family, with Nick heading off to college.

Barb said...

Your block came out great. Dear Jane in Batiks is an amazing idea! Not sure if I'm disciplined enough... but am enjoying your journey.

Vivian said...

I don't mind drunkard's path blocks, so that's how I made my version of this one -- set in curves. Never again! They were just too small. (like making Barbie doll clothes after you're used to making big doll clothes)

Love all your fabric choices. This will be one mouth-dropping gorgeous DJ when you're done.

Unknown said...

You did a fantastic job. I am not so sure you should have been so worried. Curves are a cinch!! Great job!