Tuesday, March 31, 2009
My quilting friends have been very generous to me and before she realizes it, Susan may be knee deep in selvages soon...
Monday, March 30, 2009
I guess it's appropriate that I made this block on the day that my husband had his colonoscopy...
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
This was just a quick baby quilt that I whipped up in a weekend for an elementary-school teacher. Very, very simple design, but I loved the fabrics. There were several baby batiks in there...
Thursday, March 26, 2009
It's "H-9, Snowflake Melt", an advanced-level block. It wasn't really too hard. Maybe it's the size of the diamonds that made it advanced. I paper pieced most of the block and then used the raw-edge machine buttonhole-stitch applique method for the diamonds. They were the smallest pieces that I've attempted this method with so far, but I worked carefully and am happy with the result. This would have looked horrendous if I had tried needle turn.
Although all the snow has melted, that doesn't mean that there is no chance for any more this spring...April often surprises us in this part of PA...
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
At first glance at the software pattern for this block, it looked like Y-seams would be required in order to make it look like Jane's block. The center could be paper-pieced and then four pieces of background fabric would have to be sewn in using Y-seams, followed by appliqueing of the outer two diamonds.
Although I don't dislike Y-seams as much as I used to, I'm always willing to avoid them if I can. And definitely the same goes for applique...
Anyway, I decided that instead of sewing Y-seams, I would just sew large pieces of fabric on all four sides of the center (paper-pieced, yeah!) and then tilt it, square up to 5 inches and whack off extra fabric. I should have looked carefully at Jane's block before I whacked, because as you can see in the photo on the top left, the angle is completely off. I don't know what I was thinking when I did it, but I messed up. But I didn't realize it yet.
Then I used the raw-edge machine buttonhole-stitch method to secure the outer two diamonds. At that point I decided to compare mine to Jane's. Not the same. So in order to avoid starting from the very beginning (life is too short for that!), I decided to follow Brenda Papadakis' rules -- "Cut it big and whack it off" and "Log cabin around it". And my favorite -- "This is your quilt...Add and take away blocks and change the patterns as you wish. Use whatever fabrics you desire."
So I did!
This is "C-2, Streak of Lightning", an intermediate-level block.
Monday, March 23, 2009
This is "E-11, Wagon Wheel", an intermediate-level applique block.
Before I forget, I'd like to thank Karen Griska of Selvage Blog for featuring me on her blog again this past weekend. If you haven't visited her blog, you must! Even if you never plan on making anything with selvages, you'll find her blog so inspiring.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
The chosen pattern, called Dressed to the Nines, was in the November 2003 issue of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. I can't find a photo of it online, so I don't think it would be kosher of me to post a copy of the page from the magazine. I don't want to get into copyright hot water. If you have that issue, you can look it up, or you can wait until our guild finishes our version and I'll be sure to post a photo then.
The center of the quilt consists mainly of 9-patch blocks and half-square triangles, with an outer border of flowery applique. The kits were passed out at Monday's guild meeting, so I took one home and made 4 half-square triangles. Now they're done! Once the quilt is finished, it will be hard to tell my blocks from the others, but I suppose that's a good thing.
The fabric we're using is Wildflower Serenade II by Moda.
Here's a photo of our 2008 raffle quilt -- isn't it gorgeous! The leaves were appliqued by many of our guild members and although it was a beginner-level project, I decided to sit it out. I had a good excuse...since I was chair of the 2008 exhibit, I was too busy with other things....
You can check out the other quilts from our September 2008 exhibit on our guild's website. The slideshow is on the home page. Enjoy!
Monday, March 16, 2009
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Friday, March 13, 2009
Thursday, March 12, 2009
I sent the top and backing to Jackie and within a week, it was back at my house waiting to be bound. She did a really nice job with the panto, don't you think? I think it works perfectly with the quilt.
As a thank you, I made Jackie a postcard in my current style, using selvages. Jackie is in charge of the Black and White Quilt Challenge, so I thought I'd match the theme.
Thanks again, Jackie!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
The other quilt is a quilt that I made for my family using leftover fabric from the first quilt. It's just made with randomly placed squares and then a patchwork border. I think pieced borders add so much to a quilt, especially one that doesn't have busy blocks.
I had enough fabric left that I made 3 pillows to go along with the quilt.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
It reminds me of the talent I saw in another artist that I blogged about here.
Monday, March 9, 2009
This is "G-11, Decisions, Decisions", an intermediate-level block. I chose to paper piece the 9-patch because I like the (relatively) straight lines that I get, but if you are allergic to paper piecing, it can easy be done with just rotary cutting and then your favorite applique method.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Two of them are in my DJ group, so I used selvages from fabrics that I thought fit the theme of their blocks...