Monday, June 7, 2010

Ideas Wanted

What the heck do I do with this now?

My son wore this for his graduation Friday night...We have no use for it again and we don't see any need to keep it as a memento (he will keep his cap and tassel, however). It seems a waste to have paid money for it to be used just once (I remember renting my cap and gown both in high school and college). Since I know there are students in our school district from families who are struggling financially, I asked in the school office if they take any donated gowns that could be used for those students in future years. They said that they would take it if we wanted to donate it, but didn't sound encouraging that it would be used. There is no guarantee that the color of the green will be the same shade every year (dye-lot issues), so they don't want to risk the donated gowns looking out of place. It sounded to me that if I donated it back to them, it would just hang in a closet somewhere...or worse yet, just get piled in with lost and found items or something...Seems like a waste to me (at least they do re-use the white National Honor Society sash).

So, in the spirit of the original purpose of quiltmaking, I need to figure out how to re-purpose this...

Any of you creative quilters have any ideas...?

17 comments:

Searchfamilies said...

How about making it in to a 9 patch blocks or as this is a lovely shade of green get some read & do something christmassy so each year you can bring it out & remember your son's grauation or another idea if you can do a photo of your son on to fabric then make blocks out this & turn it in to a wall-hanging of your son's grauation day
Hugs Janice

Unknown said...

Hmmm... now that is truly a dilemma. I am not sure what to do with it. I actually still have my gowns, believe it or not. They have been hanging around for so long. The only thing that I would worry about if repurposing it for a quilt type item, is the synthetic make up of these gowns. Sorry I am not more helpful.

Trish said...

I say make a memory quilt wall hanging out of it and photos from graduation. Add some black/white and make some stars with photos in the center.

Stella Jones said...

You could always cut it up and recycle it into your quilting work. You could even make a reminder quilt, using other significant shapes and colours?
It would be a shame for it to just hang in a closet for everymore.
Alternatively, you could sell it on Ebay or Craig's List?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a waste, I remember renting also and even when my girls graduated they were rented - of course that has been about 15 to 18 years ago too.
I don't have a clue what to use it for. Congrats to your son for graduating.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

Guess you could hang it in my basement closet with the two I have. A black one from 1995 or a green one (a match to yours it looks like) dated 2001! I might even have a black college one some where.

Chere said...

We use ours for last-minute Halloween costumes!

Karen said...

I have a couple of gowns floating around my house too. If there is a local preschool, daycare, you might want to see if they'd like it for dress up for the kids. Just a thought.

bettyp said...

I would cut it up and make some gro. bags out of it.
I rented too!!

Susan said...

I have two in my attic just like it, if you find that you need more fabric for you project!

Jen said...

I sewed across the bottom of mine and turned it into a hanging garment bag just to protect things from dust.

Wacky Woman said...

I can see it in a Christmas tree skirt.

Tangles of Thread said...

Luckily the one I ended up with was black and with the addition of a hood, made a wonderful grim reapers costume for Halloween for several years. You might check with the drama dept. if they might have a use for costuming or even curtains for a set.

Heather said...

Are they crazy making the grads buy gowns every year? That is so un-environmental and expensive. We didn't even have to rent, all three of the highschool and the Universities inclided it as part of the ceremony.

antique quilter said...

halloween costume?

Unknown said...

could you put some of it in the quilt you're making for him?
or on the back?

that is a waste I agree, we hired ours when my husband and I graduated.

Mamma Bears Fault said...

All of the other ideas of a memory quilt,etc., are great ideas! But if that is not something you are interested in doing, how about checking with your school drama dept. or local churches? Being a music teacher (with no budget!) and putting on musicals, I have used choir robes (with added sashes and "bling") for "Prince" costumes. I would think a church could also use the robe as a "Wiseman" costume? Good luck with your desicion! - Elizabeth