Friday, February 18, 2011

Memories


Several months ago, I donated this fabric to my guild's stash of fabric for charity quilting. It was fabric that I bought at least 15 years ago when my son was in pre-school. I used it as a tablecloth for several of his birthday parties (he preferred dinosaur-themed ones) and then put it away when he grew too old for the parties.

During several of my guild's monthly charity sewing gatherings, I would pull this out and say that it should be used for something, perhaps a backing for a Project Linus quilt, but no one ever took me up on it, so it kept going back into the charity stash. And every time I took it out, it brought back happy memories.

Since it was never used by the charity sewing group, I finally took it as a sign that I was not meant to give this fabric away, so it's now home with me again in the tote filled with other mementos from my son's childhood.


I am still dealing with empty-nest syndrome....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that you might be dealing with the empty nest syndrome for sometime. Dinosaurs were a big thing here too.

Heather said...

I think I had the companion fabric to this one. Mine was specially made to use as appliques. I put them on quite a few kid stuff, such as pj.s.

Why don't you make your son a pillowcase to use when he is home. He'd be so surprised to find it on his bed when visiting. (he is away at school?)

Needled Mom said...

I'd keep it and make a special project for a sometime grandchild. Talk about memories!!!!

Vivian said...

I agree. If it wasn't taken by someone after offering it more than once, it was not meant to go somewhere else.
I like Heather's suggestion that you make a pillowcase. I would guess that your son will remember the fabric.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

Nick must have had very neat friends if that piece of fabric survived several birthdays without some major stain. I'm sure the perfect project for it will appear at some point. Great picture of Nick!