Monday, November 7, 2011

And They're Off...

What do you get when you put ten quilters together in a room for a Jelly Roll race?


A fun time and a lot of really cool-looking quilts!
Click on the picture for a larger view.

This past weekend, ten members of the Mountain Laurel Quilt Guild held their own version of the Jelly Roll 1600 Race. Before the start of the race, we sewed our 40 strips together into one long 1600-inch long strip each. Some used pre-made jelly rolls, others cut strips from their stash, and my friend Susan and I cut strips from our collections of vintage sheets. Once the race began (boy, you should have heard those sewing machines!), the winner finished hers in just under an hour. I finished mine in 63 minutes and the longest took just about 70 minutes.

Now I know what it's like to work in a sewing sweatshop... But this one was lots of fun!

A great time was had by all and the quilts look great, don't they?

8 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

WOW! Now that's some sewing! They look great!

Unknown said...

Wasn't that fun!! But wow, 63 minutes, you are quick!! I think I took about 2 hours!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have yet to do one, but i have heard all about them.
Karen

Unknown said...

sounds like a great fun project...wow 60 minutes!

Needled Mom said...

I saw these on Susan's blog and thought it would really be fun to do with friends. Great finishes.

Maria said...

Was it easier not to sew diagonal seams when sewing the strips together?

Anya said...

Maria -- you have your profile set to "no reply", so I'll answer you here and hope that you read this. Yes, I believe it's easier and quicker to sew the seams straight rather than on the diagonal. I like the look of these quilts when they're sewn on the diagonal, but with fabrics like these vintage sheets with low contrast, it wouldn't be all that noticeable.

Sheila said...

They look GREAT! Sounds like you all had a great time :D