Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thank Goodness for Color Catchers


Some of you may remember this quilt -- it is the one I made for my son as a high-school-graduation/going-off-to-college quilt almost two years ago. When I was making it, I blogged about having to wash the red backing fabric five times in order to get the excess red dye out (you can read about that process here). The Color Catchers I used worked great -- all of the white fabrics on the front stayed bright white.

This quilt has been washed several times in the last two years; the last time was just last week. It was washed with a Color Catcher again and this is how it looked when the wash was done...


I wonder if the red will ever stop bleeding....but thankfully, the whites are still nice and white.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE color catchers! I use them all the time. Every time I throw a quilt in the wash, I throw a color catcher in and you are right... red seems to never stop bleeding. I am just picking out the fabrics for my daughter's college quilt and they are Cherry red and white... RPI's colors. So color catchers will come in handy here.

Mary said...

I haven't got a clue how color cathers work, but I'm sure glad they do.

Pat Merkle said...

I tell everyone I give a quilt to, to wash it with color catchers. I actually have given a box of them to my step-daughter. I also have a bottle of Syntrapol in my laundry room. Never know what's going to bleed.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a wall hanging that didn't bleed the first time I washed it (it has red in it) but 5 years later (yes a long time I know) it bled and I had to wash it two more times with color catchers to get the bleed out of the white.
Karen

Stella Jones said...

Red is terrible for bleeding, isn't it. I think you did a really good job of washing it thoroughly before you finished it. Most colours are colourfast at a certain temperature, depending I suppose, on the quality of the cloth. It's wearing well and more importantly keeps your son in touch with home, literally. How's he getting on at college?

Nancy said...

I'm with you on the Color Catchers... they save the day. This is such an appealing quilt!