Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sometimes It's Just Not Worth It

I bought these birdhouse blocks at my guild's last yard sale, about six months ago...


Since my new year's resolution is to use what I have, I got these out a couple of weeks ago and started to play around with what to do with them. I didn't really care for how they looked in a traditional straight setting, so I decided to change them up a bit...

...so I got out my ruler and rotary cutter...



...and arranged them like this...


...but I didn't really like that either. It bothered me that the black circles were all placed a little bit differently on each birdhouse, so when they were cut in half and rearranged, the black half-circles ended up looking funny. I wish that they all had more of an "S" shape to them, but that wasn't going to happen.

So this is where they ended up....


Trash day was yesterday...

5 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Too bad that the black dots were not all placed in the same spot on the birdhouses. That would have been one very cool quilt!

Needled Mom said...

It would have made a nice donor quilt even with the dots a little wacky. If wirse came to worse you could have appliqued hearts over the black. I do like the idea of them cut in half like that.

Vivian said...

Ouch!! My stomach lurched when I saw the last photo. The trash bag isn't where we prefer our work to go, but you made a valiant effort with someone else's work. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but you certainly gave it a hearty try.

Joyce said...

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Good for you! Sometimes as quilters we get stuck trying to make something that was never meant to be. That being said, I should go to my sewing room right now and start pitching!

JoJo said...

I've been told that if you don't like what you see after the first slice and shuffle, slice again and reshuffle. Then your eyes will not be trying to play matchy match. I'm not good at doing this yet however.