Thursday, May 2, 2013

Latest Challenge


My art quilt challenge group met yesterday to reveal our latest project (a piece inspired by a living creature, real or imaginary, any technique, any size) and what you see here is mine. It's approximately 10 inches by 14 inches. (the colors are lousy in the photos)

Here's a closeup --

The creature that I used as my inspiration first started out to be an inchworm, but then it evolved into worms in general...basically, the worms that appear on my driveway after a rain.

I started with a pieced background of several white fabrics covered with a hairy ribbon that I had in my supplies...

At first, I was planning on couching the ribbon, but decided that that would be too much work, so I found some round pieces of green tulle and arranged them like so...


I pressed some Mistyfuse onto the tulle...


And then fused the tulle onto the top of the ribbon and fabric base...using my applique pressing sheet for all the steps in which I used the Mistyfuse...


Then I added some beads and secured the tulle with some machine stitching in green thread (you can see that in the closeup photo earlier on in this post). I searched high and low in my quilting studio for a small vial of beads in various shades of green that I had used in a previous project, but couldn't find it anywhere, so I settled for some other beads that I could find...The hot pink and red beads were the wrong colors to use, but there were enough white/pale pink/sparkly beads in the pack that worked just fine.

I think I'll call my piece "Kindergarten Art Project" because it looks just like something a five-year-old might bring home for parents to proudly display on a refrigerator. "Look Mommy and Daddy, I'm an artist!"

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I love it! Tulle is wonderful on an art quilt like this!

Jean said...

It's awesome! I especially like the use of the green tulle on top of it all. Great use of stuff at home! I love to make things out of what I have.