Friday, October 17, 2008

Honor... (Warning...Politics Involved)

I need to keep busy sewing in order to keep my mind off of the fact that our country still has people who see nothing wrong with saying things like the following -- (taken from a transcript of some comments made about Senator Obama by some of those attending a Governor Palin rally on Oct 12, 2008 in rural Ohio) :

"I'm afraid if he wins, the black [sic] will take over. He's not a Christian! This is a Christian nation! What is our country gonna end up like?"

"When you got a Negro running for president, you need a first stringer. He's definitely a second stringer."

"He seems like a sheep - or a wolf in sheep's clothing to be honest with you. And I believe Palin - she's filled with the Holy Spirit, and I believe she's gonna bring honesty and integrity to the White House."

"He's related to a known terrorist, for one."

"He is friends with a terrorist of this country!"

"He must support terrorists! You know, uh, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. And that to me is Obama."

"Just the whole, Muslim thing, and everything, and everybody's still kinda - a lot of people have forgotten about 9/11, but... I dunno, it's just kinda... a little unnerving."

"Obama and his wife, I'm concerned that they could be anti-white. That he might hide that."

I cannot believe that I am hearing this in 2008 in the USA at a sanctioned event of one of our VP candidates! It's not being said in the middle of the night in the deep South of the 1950s by some in white robes and masks while burning crosses, but by Americans attending an official political rally in the 21st century! And they don't mind being videotaped while they say it! And it angers me that the candidates don't come right out and explain to their supporters that these kinds of comments and beliefs do not do our country any good.

How the heck do I explain this to my 16-year-old son?

So, in order to remind myself that there are still some honorable people in this country, (on both sides of the political divide, I might add), I made "K-9 Scout's Honor", a beginner-level paper-pieced block.

No comments: