Thursday, December 7, 2017

Not All Quilts Are For Snuggling

The small art gallery in my town (the Gmeiner Art & Cultural Center) recently displayed a small exhibit of art quilts. Luckily, a small piece of mine was juried in (as well as a number of pieces by some of my good friends).

I fused some very small batik scraps onto a background, covered it with white tulle, and then couched some fun yarns on top and along the edge.

12" x 9"

Here's a closeup...

It's the same technique I used when I made some artist trading cards to trade with some quilting friends a few years ago (I wrote about it in this post here).

I guess I can call myself an art quilter now...

Monday, December 4, 2017


I recently finished this Christmas table runner, and now that Thanksgiving is over and it's December, I have put this on our dining table. "No Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving" is the rule in this house.

click on photos for a larger view

The pattern is a free one I found online at Dragonfly Fiberart, called a Disappearing Nine-Patch with a Twist" (scroll down the page of free patterns to find it).

This is the second one I've made using this pattern, and it looks much harder than it is. You just have to be OK with having points that are cut off, which is part of the design. Some quilters have a hard time accepting this.

Here's a closeup shot...quilted with a serpentine stitch on my Bernina...

Backing and binding...

And a shot of it on our table (with a swan carved by my husband)...

Friday, December 1, 2017

Whew! It's Done!

About a year ago, I told my son that I would make him a quilt for the full-size bed he has in his apartment to replace the one I made for him when he went away to college back in 2010 (it's too small for his current bed). I sent him a link to various quilt photos that I had collected for inspiration over the years on Pinterest and told him to pick a couple that he liked and I'd see if I could get the pattern. Of course, he picked a pattern that had a gazillion pieces, but I loved it. Here is a link to the pattern info. It's called "Seeing Squares" from the Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio.

My son said he wanted the quilt to be mostly medium to dark blues, with some orange and gold/yellow. After making a few trips to some of my favorite fabric shops, I had 24 fabrics to work with. Then I spent hours and hours cutting and piecing, and finally finished quilting and binding it right before Thanksgiving. It's now out in California with its new owner, and he tells me he likes it. I really liked it, too, and it was hard to let it go.

click on photos for a larger view

approximately 84" x 96"

Here's a close-up shot --

And a shot showing the backing and binding --

I plan on making a couple of pillowcases for him as well, maybe by Christmas.