Thursday, October 29, 2015

I Almost Missed It

Over the weekend, I had loaded my latest quilt top on the frame to be quilted, when I noticed that one block was not sewn in right. I debated for several hours about whether to fix it or not, and even asked my Facebook quilting friends their opinion. 

Since this quilt is made from free fabric that I won in a giveaway, and since I don't have any particular recipient in mind for it right now, I could have easily left it the way it was. But I knew that even though most people wouldn't notice the mistake, it would bother me if I left it in, especially since it was in a place that was easy to fix. Not a whole lot of unstitching to do. In the time that I spent debating, I could have easily taken care of the issue. I finally decided to fix it and get on with the quilting.

I'll show the completed quilt in my next blog post.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Waste Not, Want Not

It may be a bit hard to see in the photo, but this batting for my latest quilt is made up of six leftover pieces from previous quilts.

click on the photo for a larger view

I use a flat-joining seam on my Bernina to sew them together, and it works great. The seams really are flat.
click on the photo for a larger view
I don't usually piece batting if I'm making a white or other light-colored quilt -- the seams can often be seen and I don't like that look. But with this quilt, the dark fabrics on both the top and bottom will hide the batting seams just fine.

Now to quilt it!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Deja Vu

This is the quilt that I sent to the newest member of my family, using the same pattern as the quilt in my previous post (Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Crystals block, but enlarged to make a quilt about 42 inches square). Click on the photos to enlarge.

I had first planned to send the other quilt to the new baby, but after I had finished it, I found scraps of my hand-dyed fabric that I had used in quilts that I had made for the baby's two older sisters almost two years ago. You can see those quilts by clicking here. I immediately decided that the baby needed a quilt to match her sisters' quilts.

Here's a closeup of the quilting...

And a look at the backing and binding...(the backing is the same on all three quilts).

I'm told that the quilt was well-received. Oh, and the two older sisters got presents, too -- the two fleece blankets that I blogged about here.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Finish!

I recently finished this baby quilt that I was planning on sending to a new baby in the family, but I changed my mind and made another one instead (I'll post that one in another post soon).

It's just an enlarged version of Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Crystals block (you can find info about it here). The block pattern was first published in a magazine and then in one of Bonnie's books. All I did was enlarge the size of one block and made it into a quilt about 42 inches square.

Here's a closeup of the meandering quilting...

And a peek at the backing and binding...

I've put it away for now, waiting for just the right baby to give it to!