Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Scraps No More!

The scraps that I blogged about last week are now part of a quilt that I will be donating to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. I have joined my fellow guild member and blogger Susan and my blogger friend Rene' in the Quilt-a-Month challenge posted on the AAQI website. Be sure to read Rene's post about it. And Susan's, too.

To make this quilt, I just took the scraps left over from my string blocks, arranged them on top of a piece of batting and backing, and then covered the whole thing with some white tulle. I quilted it with lines of various-sized zigzag stitches. The fabrics look a bit washed out in the photo due to the tulle, but that's how it looks in person as well. Perhaps I'll call this piece something like "Remembering Bits and Pieces Through the Fog", but that seems a bit too long.

9 comments:

Rene' said...

Anya, your scraps have been put to good use!!! Love the way you quilted it with zig zag stitches. That's a clever idea. The tulle is a great touch as well. Like the idea of putting "fog" in the name. Thanks for joining in the fun! I've got two that need to be quilted...better get on that ;-)

Mary said...

Interesting technique. Nice job.

Anonymous said...

I was just waiting to see what you would come up with your string scraps. You didn't disappoint me and I really like the idea of the tulle.

Mary-Frances said...

What a great idea, Anya and a very worthy cause. Your block is wonderful!

Barb said...

Very creative Anya, great way to use your strings and scraps! Maybe just "In the Fog" for the name! Stay warm, enjoy the ice and snow (if you can)! Does Nick have even more of this mess at Cornell... further north?

Susan said...

Wow...give the girl a challenge and she really takes it seriously! I LOVE IT! Maybe this will be the first in a series of fog quilts???

Diana LaMarre said...

Great use of scraps. How about 'Foggy Remembrance' for a shorter version of your name.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

Excellent use of those scraps! You could also just call it "Remembered Bits & Pieces."

Gayle said...

You did it! This turned out great!!!