Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Silver Lining


The only good thing about Monday evening's cancelled quilt guild meeting (due to a foot of snow) was that I had a chance to work on some of the projects that were in the mess of my quilting studio (see previous post).

This is "BR7, Cheryl's Crown", an advanced-level triangle for which I used the raw-edge machine-buttonhole stitch method of applique. The software did not provide a paper-piecing pattern and although I could have drafted one myself, this was quicker.

A reminder for those who are using the software to make the triangles...you have to change the size to 5 inches x 8 inches or else you'll have a very squat-looking triangle. Just another frustrating thing about the software!

5 comments:

Lorene said...

Talk about coincidence! I'm starting the quilt and am only using the software. I couldn't figure out what size to make the blocks. And lo and behold, you post a message with the sizes! How great is that?
Thanks

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have heard a lot of people had trouble with the software. I never used it, I just had my book wire bound and then fold it back and put on my printer/copier and print out the pages on freezer paper for the templates.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Heather said...

This block eeks, I mean triangle turned out very nice. Great choice of fabrics as always.

Lorene said...

Hi Anja,
Thanks for your comments on the triangles. Any comments on the kites and scallops, do they print out right? I checked the software and the default is 4.5 x 4.5 This can't be right!
Thanks
Lorene

Retrogirl said...

Anya, congrats on getting this triangle done. I bought the software first but find it's often simpler to use the book.

Should I ever decide to do another, I'll be getting my copy spiral bound.

A word to those switching back and forth from blocks to triangles....always check your settings before printing. If you've done a block, your triangle settings return to the default measurements. =)
Happy Quilting,
Heather