Monday, March 12, 2012

Help Me, Please!


Ever since I finished the top to my Jane Stickle quilt (more than two months ago now), I keep second guessing my decisions about the next stage -- putting the entire quilt together.

I've already changed my mind about what thread I'm going to use (see my posts about that here and here), and this weekend I was wondering about my choice for the backing fabric.

I bought a wide backing (and got a good deal on it) because I don't want to piece it, but I've also found a wide backing that is the same design as the fabric I used for the dark triangles and sashing (it will also be the binding). Part of me wants to go and buy the fabric that matches (my LQS has loads of it) and save the first backing to use on future batik quilts. And there will be more batik quilts in my future because I have loads of leftovers from the DJ quilt. No big pieces left over for backings, however, so I know I'd use this up.

So, what do I do? Go with the fabric that I've already purchased or buy the matching fabric?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that multi color backing, personally. But I think in the end you need to go with what will make YOUR heart sing!

Unknown said...

I love that multi color backing, personally. But I think in the end you need to go with what will make YOUR heart sing!

Sheila said...

I like the multicolour backing best. I think it would allow the top to shine on its own

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like both colors, how are you going to use your DJ? will the back be showing? Will the fabric you choose for binding go with the alternate color of your backing?
Wide back is a very good choice - so many seams on the front! I have yet to get started quilting my second DJ.
Karen

Sandra said...

I would choose the darker triangle fabric. I think it would call attention to these beautiful blocks .

Vicki W said...

I'd base the backing decision on whether I wanted the quilting to show or not. It won't show on the multi fabric but will show better on the dark. Either way it's going to be an amazing quilt!

Needled Mom said...

I vote for the multicolored too.

Kathy P said...

I like the one that matches your triangles and sashing, but you have to go with what feels right for you... trust your instincts!

Susan said...

Do you remember a certain someone taking the quilting out of her Dear Jane because she didn't like the backing? Learn from my mistake...if you don't love the backing that you bought then buy something else that you do love!

Vivian said...

I would go with the backing that's quieter, less colorful, and less competitive with the beauty and intricacy of the front of your Dear Jane. I think more subtle, and matching the triangles on the front, is the way to go. But that's MHO. Do what feels best in your heart.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

You're going to be working with that backing for a long while and living with it even longer. And this is an important quilt. Frugality should not be the main consideration. I get the feeling you already know which one you prefer.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'm thinking I'd go buy the matching fabric because you spent so much time making the quilt...I'd want it to go along with the front.

Lots of folks like the backings to be quieter....so I guess you'll just have to lay the quilt out next to both and see which one yells...I'm Done...the loudest.

Smiles,
Kelly

maggie said...

I vote for the dark one, the same as the front triangles!
I have recently finished my centre for my "Almost Jane" - I did "quilt as you go" method with an assortment of the front materials in squares for the back and neutral sashing. Have yet to tackle the borders though! I'm thinking plain triangles.....