Monday, April 23, 2012

Challenge Fun


This is my latest project for my art challenge group -- The mission this time was to use the theme of "spring" to create a piece using scraps from the other quilters in the group and a solid fabric. When I first selected the scraps, I had no clue what I was going to make. I just picked everyone's fabrics with dots. I thought about all of the usual spring holidays and themes -- Easter, flowers, bunnies, baskets, etc -- but nothing really moved me. So I did some more thinking about spring holidays and remembered the Maypole. So, what you see here is my version of the view looking up to the sky through the center of the Maypole.

Here's a shot of the quilt on point...I think setting blocks on point make quilts more visually interesting, so I wanted to take a photo of this piece on an angle (the dark background is not part of the quilt). It's not very large, only about 16 inches square.


Here's a closeup...

 I quilted the spiral using the walking foot on my machine. As you can see from the shot of the back, I didn't start right in the center. It was a bit wonky at first because it was a tight curve, but got a lot easier as I went out.

This journey with my fellow quilters has been a wonderful experience. I love each challenge, even with the frustrations involved, and am quite happy with all of my finished pieces. No, they're not masterpieces, but nevertheless, I'm proud to show them off. To see all my blog posts about the various challenges this group has had in the past, just click on the "OOLQ" label on my blog's right sidebar.

But you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see a photo of the "spring" pieces from the rest of the group...All of them are wonderful!

6 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

What a wonderful, fun little quilt! Beautiful quilting too!

Sandra said...

I love this! What a creative idea executed to perfection!

Nancy said...

Your fabric choices definitely say "spring"! A very lively piece.

Sherri Lasky said...

What FUN!!!

Jean said...

This is so pretty...love the idea you are portraying!

Signe said...

I love this!!! I know I can't pin it but I hve a little following I'd love to share your blog with. May I list your blog address on my quilting board? I think they would enjoy adding your blog to their fave list too!!!(My email address has changed to "yahoo.com" everything else is the same.)