Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Eternal UFO

Every year for the last nine or ten years (at least that many!), I've been invited to talk about quilting to the local second graders for their Colonial Days in November. I always bring this UFO to show what a quilt sandwich looks like and to demonstrate some hand quilting.


This was one of my very first finished quilt tops, probably about 14 years ago. I started hand quilting it, but gave up because the quilt just wasn't talking to me. Now that I look at it, I don't mind it so much. I think I did a pretty good job with the layout.


My hand-quilting stitches are pretty amateurish, but at least they're big enough so the students can see them!


This quilt will now be put away for another year -- unfinished. My excuse is that I'll need it for the demo next year!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Well it sure works well for your demo, so why not let it hang out in the workroom! I had some of that checkerboard fabric, too. Isn't it funny how quilters can spot fabrics that were "trending" at certain time periods?

Sara said...

I think you did a great job with the layout and the quilting stitches look just fine. This is a quilt that has a "higher purpose" - it is a learning tool instead of a finished quilt. And someday when you decided not to use it for a demo you will probably finish it.