Monday, October 20, 2014

You've Got Mail!

I'm a member of the Ithaca Modern Quilt Guild, and the guild's latest project is a Halloween postcard exchange with the Rochester Modern Quilt Guild. I finally finished mine and will be putting this in the mail this week. The thread colors are much more intense in person and the black fabric is much blacker. It's getting to be time to get a new camera....

Monday, October 13, 2014

"My" Block

My guild is in the process of making an identifying banner that will be displayed at various public events in which the guild is involved. Guild members have been asked to contribute blocks for this project and the only rule is that the block must be 6 1/2 inches unfinished. Since the guild has members who quilt in a wide variety of styles and fabrics, we want the banner to represent our diversity, so the blocks are supposed to represent the individual blockmaker.

I've chosen to make a red and white block using a pattern called "Anna's Choice" or "Annie's Choice" (in my research, I've seen both names used). I think it fits perfectly for this project because my first name is Anna (Anya is a Russian nickname for Anna), and because one of the best days of my life was when I got to see the famous "Infinite Variety" red and white quilt exhibit in New York City several years ago. 

I loved the block so much that I decided to use it as the design for our garage quilt, which has been up for more than three years now.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Moosewood Monday

In addition to not having had much time for sewing/quilting over the last several months, I haven't had too much time to try new recipes, either. I finally got back into that recently and tried one from one of my favorite restaurants, The Moosewood in Ithaca, NY. It's a recipe for Creamy Fish Chowder.

I forgot to take a picture of my version, but you can see the recipe and a photo of it by clicking here. I didn't have any zucchini, so I didn't use it, and it worked out just fine. The fish I used was cod. It's a keeper!

I am fortunate to live close enough (75 miles) to the restaurant itself to occasionally dine there, so I took this photo one day recently after having a delicious meal on their patio!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

More for the Bachelor Pad

As I mentioned in the previous post, my son's "bachelor pad with minimal IKEA furniture" is in need of some colorful accessories, so here are a few throw pillows that I made for him out of scraps from previous quilts. I told my son that if he doesn't like them, he can put them in the closet and only get them out when I come to visit!

Monday, September 29, 2014


It feels so good to be back at the sewing machine and getting some projects finished! As I mentioned in the previous post, my son recently moved to an apartment in California. He furnished it in typical basic bachelor-pad style (thank goodness for IKEA!), which means it's a bit boring. He did buy a few things with color -- red kitchen towels, oven mitts, toaster oven, kitchen rug, etc. -- but a lot of his furniture is black, including the dining table and chairs, so I decided that his place needed some more color. I made the placemats and coasters from scraps of two previous quilts -- one that I made for my son when he went off to college and then another one I made for myself using scraps from his college quilt.

Here's a shot of his quilt...

It made me feel good that he took this quilt to California!

And mine...

I just realized that I had another red/black/gray/white quilt that I made from some of these fabrics...

donated to charity earlier in 2014
The black and red scraps are getting very limited, but I have enough for a couple more things. Stay tuned!

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Anybody There?

Wow, what a summer. I had so many things keeping me busy that I didn't really have much time for quilting/sewing stuff, just an occasional quilters' day out with friends or a day spent charity sewing with guild members. And that meant that I didn't have time for too much blogging, either.

So, what was it that kept me so busy? First, it was moving my elderly parents and aunt to a house that we built next door (and then helping them get settled in -- changing bank accounts, driver's licenses, doctor's appointments, etc.) Then, it was my son's graduation from college and job hunt, culminating in helping him move to California for a job with Google (yeah!).

My sewing machine barely got turned on all summer. About all I managed to finish were the labels and sleeves for entries in my guild's exhibit this past month.

Anyway, things are slowly getting back to normal, so now I'm getting back into the routine of sewing something (and finishing it)! And hopefully, that will mean more regular blogging, too, mainly to show my projects.

And since I don't like to write a blog post without a photo, here's a shot what greeted us when we stopped by at one of the Google buildings!

I hope to be back real soon to show what I finished sewing this past week! Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

It's Almost Exhibit Time!

2014 MLQG Raffle Quilt

My guild's 2014 exhibit opens this upcoming Friday, September 5th with a gala evening reception (7-9 PM) at the Gmeiner Art & Cultural Center located at 134 Main Street in Wellsboro, PA. There will be refreshments and door prizes (and lots of gorgeous quilts, of course). The public is invited.

The exhibit will be on display September 6-28, open 2-5 PM daily, with free admission.

You can check the details on the Mountain Laurel Quilt Guild website, blog, or Facebook page.