Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Three In A Row

This is what happens when you try to do things the "easy" way.



At first glance at the software pattern for this block, it looked like Y-seams would be required in order to make it look like Jane's block. The center could be paper-pieced and then four pieces of background fabric would have to be sewn in using Y-seams, followed by appliqueing of the outer two diamonds.

Although I don't dislike Y-seams as much as I used to, I'm always willing to avoid them if I can. And definitely the same goes for applique...

Anyway, I decided that instead of sewing Y-seams, I would just sew large pieces of fabric on all four sides of the center (paper-pieced, yeah!) and then tilt it, square up to 5 inches and whack off extra fabric. I should have looked carefully at Jane's block before I whacked, because as you can see in the photo on the top left, the angle is completely off. I don't know what I was thinking when I did it, but I messed up. But I didn't realize it yet.

Then I used the raw-edge machine buttonhole-stitch method to secure the outer two diamonds. At that point I decided to compare mine to Jane's. Not the same. So in order to avoid starting from the very beginning (life is too short for that!), I decided to follow Brenda Papadakis' rules -- "Cut it big and whack it off" and "Log cabin around it". And my favorite -- "This is your quilt...Add and take away blocks and change the patterns as you wish. Use whatever fabrics you desire."

So I did!

This is "C-2, Streak of Lightning", an intermediate-level block.


3 comments:

Jackie said...

I like her rules. I think those are great rules to live by when quilting.

Tropical Screamer said...

Gosh, isn't it freeing to take ownership of things and do them exactly as we please?

Congratulations and I love your block.

Darilyn

Clevelandgirlie said...

You are a glutton for punnishment! This is great - it scares me just to look at it.