Monday, April 11, 2011

I've Missed You, Jane

It's been way too long since I've worked on my Jane Stickle quilt, so I finally made myself finish the last triangle of the bottom row. I had been avoiding it for way too long, mostly because I was frustrated that the software (and the book) changed the pattern too much from the original for my taste. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to make mine look more like Jane's.

Jane's is in the photo on the right. As you can see, one of the dark diamonds extends into the lighter piece above it. And the two largest triangles are in dark fabric. The software and the book disregard both of those details. 

My triangle became a hybrid of both. It was giving me too much of a headache to figure out how to get the diamond to extend into the lighter fabric, so I just went with making it end at the seam line. However, I decided that it was simple enough to make the large triangles out of dark fabric like in the original and then to add just a bit of the light fabric on the outer edges (close to what Jane did).

This is "BR-12, Jessie's Stained Glass", an intermediate-level triangle that I mostly paper-pieced.

Oops...While writing this post and looking at the photos again, I just realized that I made the two dark triangles a bit too large and that the points of the diamonds don't meet them where they should. Oh well, too late. I'm not doing them over.

Because after all, this is my quilt, not Jane's.

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

A lot of my blocks and triangles I changed just a little bit to suit me better - I think with so many pieces it doesn't matter if they are not the same as those in the book or as you say the software has some of it a little different. It will just be nice to have it finished won't it!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Mary-Frances said...

Looks good, Anya. Another block done, yoohoo!

Barb said...

A pat on the back for you Anya, "it is your quilt", and I am loving it! I had to go back and look another time to see what you were referring to with the triangles... so you see the little things only you will realize! Keep on going, I know you can do it! Have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

I think sometimes the "inspirations" from the books give us the leeway to do our own thing. Who will notice when it's done. Surely not me!