Thursday, May 17, 2018

How I Trim My Quilts

A friend recently asked me to show her how I trim my quilts after quilting and before binding. I usually like the bindings on my quilts to be full (except on wall hangings), so this is how I do it.

This is what I use to cut the excess backing and batting. It's a portable cutting mat/ironing mat combo...


Here it is opened up...



This is the quilt as it comes off of my HQ16 midarm machine...


I use a long ruler and trim 1/2 inch from the quilt top. The extra 1/2 inch of batting and backing fabric will be sewn into the binding and help make it full...



Here's what the top looks like after all four sides are trimmed...



And a closeup shot of one of the corners where you can see the extra 1/2 inch...


1 comment:

Sara said...

Doesn't it make it easier to bind a nicely squared up quilt? I use a similar technique, but usually one cut a scant 1/4" outside of the fabric edge. I use 2 1/4" bindings, so that fills the binding nicely.