Sunday, July 20, 2008

My First "Quilt in a Day"

My family is off to visit Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh this weekend, so there will probably be no DJ blocks for a few days. Here's a project from my past...

I loved making this Double Pinwheel quilt back in early 2001. I just used a lot of scrappy (some ugly) fabrics from my stash and I was amazed at how well they looked together when the whole quilt was completed. Although I don't agree that I could have made the entire quilt in a day, I do like Eleanor Burns' techniques for making difficult-looking quilts using easy methods. From what I remember, the machine quilting in the inner border was my first attempt at meandering, using my Bernina. Thankfully, the thread blends in well with the fabric so the inconsistent stitch size is not very noticeable. I stitched in the ditch in all of the double pinwheel blocks which made them stand out nicely. This quilt now hangs in my foyer and it's the first thing that guests see when they come in the front door. It makes a very nice visual impact.


No comments: