Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Quick Binding Stitch

I usually prefer to sew my bindings on to the back of my quilts by hand, but once in a while I don't think the project is worth the time for that.

This is a sneak peek at my current project (other than the DJ quilt), which will be a wall hanging for my sewing studio. I machine-stitched the binding to the back of the quilt and then used the buttonhole stitch on my sewing machine to sew the binding on to the front. The back looks horrible because it doesn't line up with the edge of the binding as nicely as on the front, but it doesn't matter to me since it will just be on the wall. It won't go to any contests or any shows anywhere and won't be given away as a gift to anyone, so I'm fine with it.

I had some old leftover variegated thread that I had no plans for, so I just used it for this. I had issues with shredding thread, bad tension, and skipped stitches, but I kept going because it mostly did the job. Perfection was not needed here. I just wanted to use up the thread and to sew the binding on quickly. I now use a different brand of variegated thread for machine quilting that I like much better -- a lot fewer problems than with this thread.

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it looks interesting - I have never done that.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Hunter said...

I like the way the binding looks. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole quilt.

D.

Barb said...

Looks good to me...and the wall will not mind that the back binding is not quite perfect ;-)!! Good way to use up the thread that was not quite what you liked...should make you feel good about the *no waste* thing! I am guessing by the tiny bit of edge showing that you did something with your selvage strips, am I right? Please share!