Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Small Can You Go?

The tiny green triangles in the corners of this block are so small that I managed to cut them from leftover pieces of fabric after I trimmed the paper-pieced sections. Those triangles are 1/2-inch triangles, people! Even smaller than the pieces I blogged about back in May.

This is "L-12, Sally's Pride", an intermediate-level block that I paper pieced and then added the itty-bitty triangles using the raw-edge machine buttonhole-stitch applique method. The stitching almost covers the entire triangle -- in this case, perhaps monofilament thread would have been a better choice, but frankly, I didn't feel like changing the thread on my machine.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are too funny! Several of my friends have told me in the past that they were just too lazy to change the thread too. And boy they are just itty bitty triangles.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I save a lot of my tiny scraps for this quilt too - you can use up a lot of what most would throw away and use them for these tiny triangles and tiny squares in this quilt.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

grendelskin said...

Eeek, so teeny! I think it's fun with the thread as is, it makes the teeniness (is that a word?) stand out all the more.

Needled Mom said...

Oh my goodness....those are small!

Linda said...

Someone in a quilt shop once asked me if anyone really cares what color your thread is. I thought that was an invitation to only change thread when a bobbin emptied or the spool ran out. A few paper piecing projects cured me of that! Still, I get lazy every once in a while mix thread colors (one color of spool and another color of bobbin)!
I retired from Northern VA a little over a year ago, but just decided to stay on the Maryland side of the Potomac for the remainder of my retirement. Every once in a while I hear the traffic report and thank the good lord that I don't have to go there any more.