Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Quilts Are For Kids

In my early quilting years, when my son was in elementary school, I collected novelty fabrics everywhere I went. At first I had no idea what I would do with them, I just thought they were fun and colorful.


In 2001-2002, I made three "I Spy" bed quilts from some of that fabric. The first one was for my son, the second for the elementary PTA to use as a fundraiser for the school's reading program, and the third for the Green Free Library in Wellsboro to use as a fundraiser. The first two had the same blocks and the third was just a bit different. I quilted all three on my sewing machine -- it was about that time when I started thinking that there had to be a better way to do the quilting...


Here's Nick with the PTA quilt (his identical one was on his bed back then and still is to this day -- don't tell him I told you) ...


...and here's the one for the library...

Even after making three of these fun quilts, I had oodles of fabric left over, so I used it last year to make nine more smaller quilts (using a different pattern) for the young kids on my husband's side of the family... I'll post photos of those at a later date...


No comments: