Monday, May 3, 2010

Old, Yet Modern-Looking

On a recent trip that a couple of my quilting friends and I took, we stopped by the Middletown Historical Society in Addison, New York to see a small display of antique quilts. I found this quilt to be quite striking because of the modern-looking design layout. Even the colors were brighter than I would have expected for a quilt made in 1868. Sorry for the lousy photo, but the two white labels describing the quilt made for awful contrast.

You can see the lovely crocheted-lace edging in this closeup.

I certainly hope that the family that owns this treasure keeps it and that it doesn't wind up in a thrift store someday...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is always fascinating seeing older quilts. I always wonder what the maker was thinking at the time. This one is a beauty. Love the edge of the quilt!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always love to stop and see quilt museums it is amazing to see all of the old ones and some still in spectacular shape.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Barb said...

Oh my, thinking of that beauty in a thrift store is way too painful in my mind. It is a treasure, I sure hope the family keeps it close! The colors are so vivid it must have been stored someplace special!

Rene' said...

This is a very modern looking quilt. My father in law is always worried his family pictures will end up in a garage sale when he passes ;-)