Friday, November 22, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane


While I was visiting my parents recently, I asked my mother if I could take a look at the sewing machine that she has had since at least the early 1970s, perhaps even the late 1960s. Although my mother is not a quilter, she still sews on it once in a while. It's a Singer Fashion Mate 237.

I spent many happy hours at this machine while learning to sew in the early 1970s. The quilting bug hadn't hit me yet, but I loved going to fabric shops (they used to have them in the mall!) and making a few of my own clothes. I don't make clothes now, but I still love going to fabric shops!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I bought my first sewing machine when I graduated from HS, and it was a Singer Stylist which looks very similar to your Mom's. I sewed on it for many years, but can't say that it was always a happy experience, as it was always breaking down. I still have it, packed away in the original cabinet. It may become an Antique one day :-)

Nancy said...

Some of those old machines are real workhorses. Ha- I'd forgotten about fabric shops in the mall!