Tuesday, February 18, 2014

It's All Susan's Fault



Last winter, my friend Susan gifted me with a fun knitted ruffly scarf (the red, black, gray, and white one in the above photo) and convinced me that I could also make one myself. I'm not a knitter, although I did learn the basic stitches for both knitting and crocheting from my mother many years ago when I was in my teens. I love the look of all of the gorgeous knitted scarves, shawls, sweaters, etc. that I see all over the blogosphere, but don't have the patience to learn the more advanced skills that would be required to make them. I have too many obsessions as it is. But I couldn't resist making more scarves -- and talk about basic...there's nothing easier to knit than these.

So, in between making quilts and trying all sorts of new recipes, I've managed to finish three more scarves and have another one on my needles. The colors are much more vibrant in person than in the photos.

I've worn these scarves almost everywhere I've been this winter, and even though I thought the ruffly scarf trend was so 2012, I've received many compliments on them. Non-knitters don't believe me when I tell them how easy they are...and they really are!

But I'm afraid I don't plan to make anything else with my knitting needles...I still have way too much fabric that needs to be sewn into quilts and I don't need a giant yarn stash! (but when I go with my friends to yarn shops, I completely understand their obsession).

3 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

I completely understand how those scarves can take over! I make a crochet ruffled scarf (made with regular yarn and a wonderful pattern!) that I sold in 2012 and again more this past Christmas. I still cannot pass a skein of Lion Homespun yarn without being tempted to grab one...or five! I only crochet at night when watching television. I don't like to sew in the evening since I sew in the very early morning when my reflexes are better. Right now there is a huge throw on my couch that I am working on at night. There is also an entire studio full of fabric that needs to be sewn!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have not gotten into those scarves but a lot of people are making them here too - one lady that does the small craft shows made over 60 of them last fall and sold almost all of the! I don't wear scarves though so I guess that is why they hold no appeal to me.

Susan said...

It's a good thing I have big shoulders...everything is my fault these days! ;o) If you ever do decide that you want to make something different with your knitting needles, I have enough yarn for the both of us (and then some)!