Once again, after making this block, I am amazed at how much the software and the book for this quilt really need to be revised. If I didn't have my local support group, the Laurel Janes of my guild, and if I didn't have access to all the great bloggers who have been so willing to share their experiences with making the blocks in this quilt, I probably would have stopped a long time ago.
The book really has no instructions at all; the software is somewhat slightly better, but I worry about would-be quilters who look at the gorgeous blocks and say "I think I'll learn to quilt by making this quilt" without ever having made even a half-square triangle!
This is "M-1 Dogwood Days", labeled by the software as an intermediate-level block. I paper pieced the center 9-patch and the 4 triangles around it and then rotary cut the two outer borders.
The software printed out a foundation pattern that required quite a few Y seams (otherwise known as inset seams). For the life of me, I can't figure out why. I revised it so that the Y seams were eliminated. Yes, my 4 little triangles are not all perfectly matched up at the seams, but the Y seams would have been worse. It would have taken me longer and I'd be a lot more frustrated.
There are quite a number of other flaws that I've discovered in the software, so again I have to say that I am thankful for my fellow DJaniacs, both local and in cyberspace. And if anybody out there involved in making the book/software is listening....please, please, please, revise them!
14 minutes ago