Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Success!



Just like veggies, perhaps the "raw" stage is best.

I've discovered that invisible raw-edge applique is a great technique -- again I used monofilament thread in the top and bobbin and used a silk/lingerie needle with the blind-hem stitch. Easy-peasy.

I don't think I'd use the raw-edge technique for quilts that will be used and washed a lot, but there is no way that this DJ quilt of mine will be abused. At least, as long as it is owned by me! Maybe I should consider displaying it under glass...

I'm getting ahead of myself...there are still a lot more blocks to go before the quilt is to be considered finished and ready for display.

This is "G-13, Molly's Muffins", a beginner-level block. #91


P.S. This technique let me finish 2 (!) blocks today...but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see the second one...

4 comments:

Maggie R said...

AMAZING!! I will be anxious to see more...
Love your blog... I am a quilter gone wild with too many other things in the mix. I started DJ awhile ago but have only about 15 blocks done.... I kind of liked Dear Hannah better but that is because I love applique.
One of my clients has commissioned me to do a mini baltimore albumn...Gulp!!! I am at the design stage right now...
Anyway, I wish you would come visit me and sign up to follow, That way I have you at my fingertips and can see what you are up to next! VBG
oxox
((((hugs))))
Maggie
waving from Oh So very cold and snowy southern ontario canada

Hunter said...

Great block and the technique sounds fun.

I hand-pieced this one and I definitely think it was the hard way to do it. (But fun.)

As always, I can hardly wait to see your next block.

Darilyn

Diana LaMarre said...

Great idea for the applique. I have only done a small amount of needle turned applique. It was not my favorite thing to do...very time consuming. Your technique sounds much quicker.

RamblingMother said...

You won the tutu from my blog give away. I need your addy e-mail me at bdm9370@yahoo.com Thanks.