Wednesday, April 15, 2009

For A Dear Friend With A Big Heart

A dear friend of mine (who doesn't read my blog) opens up her family's lake house several days per month and welcomes her fellow guild members in to spend some fun time sewing and visiting. The DJ group meets there and other times we work on charity projects or our own quilts. We've even had mini-retreats there. As a matter of fact, I'll be there today...

To thank this friend for her generosity, our guild decided to make her a quilt incorporating two of her favorite themes -- the color pink and scrap fabric. Guild members who wanted to participate were given a square of batting and a pink strip of fabric to use as the center strip of their block. They were then asked to use the "stitch and flip" technique and add strips of various fabrics from their stashes until the square of batting was all covered up.

Last week, a small group of us (Susan, Dori, Peggi, Rita and I) spent some time putting the top together. I then took it home and quilted it on my HQ16 (hearts for a guild member with a big heart) and now Dori is working on the binding. After she is finished with that, Rita will sew on the label, which was made by Peggi. We had a few blocks left over, so we quickly sewed them into a table topper and Susan is finishing that up. The label is also made from one of the blocks. (I'll show the label and table topper in a later post, after we give the quilt to Moddy).

A big thank you to all guild members who participated...the quilt will be a treasure, I'm sure. Moddy doesn't read blogs, so I think it's pretty safe to show all of this here. I'm sure guild members reading this can keep a secret until Monday...

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that will be a neat surprise for her - I bet she will love it.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Sandy said...

How wonderful. What a great getaway also for her friends. She will love it! Who wouldn't?

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very nice collaboration!

Lori Holt said...

What a great idea for a group quilt! Everyone can do it and a scrap quilt is always lovely. I know your friend will LOVE it! Last year I taught my daughter who is now 9 how to make a string quilt block for one of her first sewing projects. She loved it and made a big pillow for her room.
I've been going to show it on my blog, maybe now is the time.
Come on over and check it out:)

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Anya,
I think that was a great idea and how nice it was for all you gals to put it together. I'm sure Moddy will be surprised and very pleased.

Kelly
http://IHaveANotion.blogspot.com

Barb said...

What a wonderful surprise, I love the pink...it is not only a pretty color but to me represents *love* along with your hearts! Good job!

Selvage Quilter said...

Oh! That is a gougeous quilt! What a good idea to give out a pink strip for the center so that everyone's block will be compatible. I'm sure she loves it!
Karen