Monday, November 9, 2009

I Was Going To Ask For Opinions, But...

(UPDATE -- for those who want to know...this is a penny pocket.)

...I think I've made up my mind...well, maybe...

My son's senior class asked me if I would make a quilt for a raffle fundraiser, so of course, I couldn't say no.

I decided to use the school's colors of green and white and picked this pattern from Film in the Fridge.

But I'm not sure of which layout to use...

This one....

...or this one?
I've already used the first layout in another similar top that I blogged about here. I was kind of hoping to use a different layout, so I came up with the second one. I kind of like it except for a couple of things...1) I'll need to make one more green block -- that's not a big deal; 2) I have 8 leftover white blocks that I suppose could be used on the back; 3) I'll need to make setting triangles; 4) it's square and I don't like square throws -- although I could move some of the green blocks from one side to the bottom. But that makes for a throw that is a bit too narrow for my taste. Which means I'd have to add a border.

It looks like if I want to use the second layout, it means more work and more time and I really don't want to do that because I'd like to get this finished and handed off to the senior class ASAP and because of all the other projects that are demanding my time. What projects, you ask? Well, there is a Pay It Forward gift that I need to get in the mail this week, a binding to finish by the 16th, ten penny pockets to make and fill by the 21st, charity pillowcases to make on Wednesday, two other pillowcases to make by Thursday...and oh yes, a couple of Dear Jane blocks to make for our mini-retreat on Friday/Saturday.

I think I'll just go with the first layout...but I'm anxious to try the second one on another quilt. Perhaps on the baby quilt that I need to make by February...

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like the first layout - you say it is for a fundraiser for your son's class and as I looked at it and read what it was for I immediately thought it looks like "crazy mixed up kids" LOL -- in other words something kids would really like. I do not know if they are the ones buying tickets or if it is the adults in their life's but I think it has "high school kids" written all over it!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Susan said...

I like the second layout, BUT I think the first one looks more like something that would appeal to a teen, so my vote goes to the first one.

Unknown said...

I like them both, but the unstructure look of the first one will appeal to the kids more probably and as you said, easier to do.
I love it...Lucky Pennsylvania school!

Rene' said...

Both layouts are wonderful, but I really like the first one. Great quilt for the fundraiser...especially using the school colors. Going with the first one will give you more time to work on the few (ha ha) other projects you have going on. I have to ask...what are penny pockets? Enjoy the retreat. Sounds like you will be ready for a retreat by then.

Unknown said...

I like the first one. It messes wih my mind, but some days I need that!

Amy said...

Layout number one is my favorite. I think it is a style that the kids at school will be drawn to.

Searchfamilies said...

I prefer the 2nd layout best the first is okay but i really do like the 2nd one
Hugs Janice

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Both layouts are great and you learned you want to try the second one again even though you are not using it now!