Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Got Thread?

A good friend of my mother's used to work in the garment district of New York and also worked as a seamstress on the side. She is now in her late 80s and suffers from glaucoma and arthritis, which means that she can no longer enjoy sewing, either my hand or machine. No one in her family sews, so since she knows that I am a rabid quilter, she has passed her thread collection on to me. And it's filled with good quality thread, mainly Gutermann...

I'm a lucky girl..(as well as grateful).

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How nice! And boy, you know we quilters need thread!

Ceamz/Cayleigh said...

lucky girl! I received some Osh Kosh embroidery thread after the local factory closed down in my area from some friends. I was and still am "thrilled".

Unknown said...

Oh wow, we all need more thread. and if it's still in grat condition all the better.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very sweet little stash of thread Anya!

Sue said...

That's a wonderful gift, lucky you!

Stella Jones said...

That was a lucky gain and I'm sure your old lady friend was really pleased for the thread to go to a good home! There are sooooooooo many colours of thread that it just isn't possible to have enough, is it.
Blessings, Star

Heather said...

how thought of the family to pass them along to someone who will actually use them. Great assortment.

Wacky Woman said...

How nice. I just love thread. All kinds of thread.

Barb said...

Wonderful indeed, it was so kind that they thought of you, and knowing that you will put it to good use. And each spool will remind you of their kindness! Enjoy your special treasure!