Wednesday, November 10, 2010

She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not

Do you have a love/hate relationship with your serger? I do. When it works, I absolutely love it, but when it doesn't, I really, really hate it! It usually serves me faithfully, but once in a while, something goes wrong with the threading and then I start hurling a lot of 4-letter words all over my sewing studio. Rethreading means getting out the manual and attempting to thread the threads through all of the various little holes and loopers and such, awkwardly using a teeny screwdriver and tweezers and needle threader. It usually takes forever. I spent at least an hour on this the other day, and I finally got it to work (I think).

You'd think somebody would come up with a better design...Yes, I know there are some new sergers out there with automatic threaders, but I wonder how well they work...anybody have any experience with those? And even if they work well, I'm not ready to spend mucho dinero on a new serger (at least not until college expenses are done with).

5 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I do have the Whoosh one that does the looper threads automatically and I love it. I was so frustrated with all of the battles threading my old one. I had one of the original ones and it was the same thing - the manual (in a gazillion languages), the tweezers, needled threader and making sure they were threaded in the proper order. Ugh!! They really need to come up with a nice, soft, transparent thread so you would never have to change colors!!!

Trish said...

Oh this is sooo true. I received a video with mine and I sit there and watch and re-watch and still can't get it down pat. I have been sticking with white threads and not changing much because of this. However, when I do change a color, I pull it through without re-threading as much as I can.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do not have a serger and having never had one I do not miss not having one - especially after reading your tales of threading the darn machine - I think I will continue to be glad I don't have one.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Vicki W said...

I have a Babylock with air threading and it is AWESOME! I've had it at least 10 years and it has never needed any sort of service. It also has automatic tensioning and the few times that the tension has been off has been my fault in missing a point on the thread path. I had owned 2 sergers before that one and I was a little apprehensive about spending so much money on a serger. It was so much better than the other ones I had that I haven't regretted it for one second.

Anonymous said...

Vicki is sooo right, I also have a Babylock with air threading. My previous serger was an Elna, it was great but I hated to rethread. My Babylock has a cheat sheet with every stitch on it. Highly recomend it, no more love/hate.