Thursday, October 18, 2012

Shall We Dance?

After writing yesterday's post, I realized that I had not yet shown the last quilt I made for my art quilters' challenge group. My piece is called "Let's Do the Twist(er)".


The challenge was to use a photo for inspiration in any way we wanted, so that meant that we had a lot of freedom in what to create. The only other requirement was to use yellow somewhere in the quilt. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and try to make it something that would also fit the challenge for my guild's September exhibit as well. That challenge was to interpret a phrase, book title, song lyric, etc in a quilt. Lots of leeway there.

I don't know how I decided, but I settled on using a photograph that I found on the Internet of the Twister game. I'm sure most of you are familiar with it. Here's my writeup for the label at the exhibit --


This is my interpretation of the childhood game, Twister, with some fun word play on the popular dance we’ve all danced at weddings, The Twist. Of course, in my version, the circles are a bit frayed and the quilting is a bit off-kilter, but then...I’m usually a bit frayed and off-kilter after a round of The Twist or a game of Twister



The piece is fairly small, about 15" x 17", so I quilted it in a square spiral on my Bernina.


No comments: