Friday, March 15, 2013

More Stashbusting


Some of my readers may remember when I first blogged about this quilt (read about it here) about six weeks ago. It's now quilted, bound, and labeled and will be donated to my guild's latest outreach project -- our local foster child program.

The back is all from my stash...


And my favorite part is the bias striped binding...


My only complaint about striped binding is that it can be very difficult to find a thread that will match all the colors, so some of the stitches disappear better than others. This closeup also gives you a view of how I've been attaching labels to these charity quilts. It's just a five-inch square of fabric, folded in half, and then sewn into the binding on the raw edges. I usually just fuse the folded edge to the backing, but I suppose I could easily hand-sew that part, too.

This is another 4 1/2 yards of fabric used up in 2013 from my stash!

2 comments:

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Woooo hoooo for you Anya! You are doing a wonderful job of stash busting. Once it is all used up you are going to have the time of your life shopping for future projects.

I like the label in the corner, great idea.

Smiles,
Kelly

Vivian said...

Top notch stash busting. Striped or plaid fabrics are my favorite binding (on the bias, of course). They're a great finish to any quilt.
That label is quick as can be, and it means there's no reason for not putting a label on a quilt. (I don't tack down the loose edge either, unless it's for a baby quilt.)
Quilt backs using pieces from stash are the most satisfying, aren't they? They're always so artistic.