Monday, October 13, 2014

"My" Block

My guild is in the process of making an identifying banner that will be displayed at various public events in which the guild is involved. Guild members have been asked to contribute blocks for this project and the only rule is that the block must be 6 1/2 inches unfinished. Since the guild has members who quilt in a wide variety of styles and fabrics, we want the banner to represent our diversity, so the blocks are supposed to represent the individual blockmaker.

 
I've chosen to make a red and white block using a pattern called "Anna's Choice" or "Annie's Choice" (in my research, I've seen both names used). I think it fits perfectly for this project because my first name is Anna (Anya is a Russian nickname for Anna), and because one of the best days of my life was when I got to see the famous "Infinite Variety" red and white quilt exhibit in New York City several years ago. 


I loved the block so much that I decided to use it as the design for our garage quilt, which has been up for more than three years now.

3 comments:

Carol Swift said...

Such a beautiful block and I love that block hanging over your garage...wow!

SewCalGal said...

Love the idea of a guild banner. And your block is beautiful. Of course, it would also make for a great quilt to share in the Red/White Quilt Show going on right now too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

I love to be reminded of that show. I can still remember the feeling I got when I stood among those quilts rising almost to the ceiling very far away. What a day!