Thursday, May 29, 2008

Am I Nuts?


This is how I spent 2 hours during this beautiful (but a bit chilly) spring morning. The block is "G-6 Papa's Star". Definitely not a beginner's block. In real life, the dark fabric is more orange, not red as the photo seems to show.
Don't ask me how the piece in the middle of the small star turned out to be a rectangle instead of a square, but heck, it works for me. Also, my little star pieces are a bit wonky, but I have to remind myself that finished is better than perfect. It is only one of the 169 4 1/2-inch blocks surrounded by 52 triangles and 4 corner kites. As far as I know, there are no DJ quilt police following me around waiting to issue a citation.

Advice on how to make it easier -- make the center part of the block using fabric with stars already printed on it and fussy cut the pentagon-shaped piece instead of piecing the teeny tiny star points. Even easier... applique a plain large star on a piece of background and leave it at that.

What I've learned from making this block --

1 -- I am in definite need of some serious psychiatric help;
2 -- It was very smart of me to use batiks for this quilt because I don't have to worry about the right and wrong side of the fabric;
3 -- When paper piecing, remember the mirror image effect -- thankfully I remembered BEFORE it was too late;
4 -- If you are paper piecing, be mindful of the fact that this method does waste fabric;
5 -- Although the short stitch length works great for the paper piecing, it's not much fun when it comes to un-sewing;
6 -- Do this when it's dreary outside -- don't waste gorgeous weather;
7 -- Last, but not least...Jane Stickle must have been an awesome woman to know.



No comments: