Thursday, May 22, 2008

Light bulb moment



A trip to Needles Quilt Shop in Wellsboro last week provided me with the first batch of fabrics. My plan is to use batiks, lights and darks, in a rainbow design, starting with the center block, Indianapolis, in red. The block has curved seams so I can't paper-piece it -- it has to be appliqued. I don't really like doing applique and do it rarely, but it has to be done.

Our guild hosted Patricia Knoechel, Eleanor Burns' sister, on Monday night during which she demonstrated several of Eleanor's favorite sewing methods. I had a light bulb moment that evening -- I can use the interfacing-applique technique. Here is what I've done so far. I pieced the circle with the center strips and then sewed it onto fusible interfacing. The other 4 pieces will be appliqued using the freezer-paper method.

No comments: