Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Year of the Orphan (Block) and UFOs


First of all, Happy New Year, everyone! I hope that 2013 brings you peace and health (and lots of quilting)!


I've decided that, for me, 2013 will be the Year of the Orphan Block and UFOs. The blocks in the photo are my first project...just seven nine-patch blocks that I picked up at one of my guild's yard sales for $1. I have no idea what possessed me to buy them...I certainly didn't need someone else's UFO when I have plenty of my own. But they just looked so pretty and lonely, so I brought them home with me. I don't have a fancy project in mind for them, just something simple that will probably be donated to charity.

Stay tuned to see what I make...

4 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Happy New Year to you! I had (have) a bunch of 9 patch blocks that I received in a block exchange. I had no plan but just took the best looking ones (and some are truly hideous!) and started sewing them together. I mixed in pieces of fabric that I won in a giveaway of someone's scraps (lots of the fabric was gorgeous but these were pieces I would never use) and made a picnic quilt. I batted it with flannel I bought at Joann's on Black Friday a couple of years ago and used a thrifted sheet for the back. Now I feel guilty! I should have made a charity quilt!!

Susan said...

It sounds like you and I have the same kind of plan for 2013...here's to a great year!

Nancy said...

Other people's "stuff" is always a draw for me. And, like you, it's not as if I don't have enough of my own partial projects! Look forward to seeing your finishes.

Vivian said...

We get tired of our own stuff so easily, and anybody else's is SO MUCH more appealing, cuz it's new to our eyes.
My favorite way to work with 9-patches is alternating them with hourglass blocks, all on point. They're automatically framed.
Have fun with the 9-patches, and Happy New Year, Anya.