Monday, September 22, 2008

Almost Time For Flannel Quilts



Now that we are into fall, it will soon be time to put the flannel quilt on the bed. I made the large one (about 96" by 96") in late 2001 and quilted it on my Bernina. The entire thing took forever to make -- I think I counted at least 80 hours worth of work from start to finish (after that I decided that I was no longer going to keep track of how long it takes to make a quilt). I quilted it in the ditch using monofilament thread. That is another example of a time when I wished I had some sort of home quilting machine. I can't believe it took me another 4+ years before I found what I wanted.
I worked on the binding while I was visiting my parents for Thanksgiving that year and my father admired it so much that I decided to make him a small throw for his birthday in Feb 2002 using the same pattern and fabrics. The throw still has a home on my parents' sofa. You should be able to click on the pictures to see larger versions.
The pattern is based on Debbie Caffrey's "Scraps To You, Too". The blocks needed some squaring up and I'm afraid I didn't do it properly, but it still works fine for me. I have learned a lot about squaring up blocks since then...

No comments: